UNIVERSITY Q&A

by - Monday, March 30, 2015

I thought i'd make a bit of a different post today, less of the beauty more of the lifestyle side to my blog. I wanted to talk about my experience at University and hopefully answer any questions you may be wanting to know.

WHAT DO YOU STUDY?
- I'm currently studying Fashion and Textiles. I love the course and I love the work. Yes, that sounds a bit geeky but you have to love what you're doing otherwise what's the point in studying it for 3/4 years if you hate it?

IN WHAT WAY IS IT DIFFERENT TO SIXTH FORM/COLLEGE?
- It's completely different, whereas in sixth form or college you would get told off or get asked not to do something your lecturers don't (unless you're being rude) It's as simple as that, if you're on your phone they wont tell you to get off it because at the end of the day they're still getting paid and if you fail YOU pay for another year so your student debt goes up and up.

 In my case I have a lot more work than I ever did at sixth form, I don't think I had a piece of "homework" to do in the 2 years I was at sixth form. Which at the time was great.. but reflected on my grades. I got what I was expected to get and I did great but I knew I could of done better. At university some weeks you'll have no work and some weeks you'll have 20 pages of work to do.
 The last difference I can think of from sixth form to university is you don't have to wear a uniform, you can wear as much make-up as you like, your hair can be however you like AND my favourite difference.. you can keep facial piercings in!

DOES UNIVERISTY HELP OR HINDER?
Help or hinder your social life?
- Both. It's as simple as that. I was always out and I was always tired because I was always out! (how many times can one person say 'always' in a sentence? haha) Having a lot of work to do stops me from going out but when I do go out I enjoy it a lot more than I use to. It's like a treat to see my friends now rather than a casual thing. I met new people at university so we all try to do things with each other too! It's great though because if you can't make it for the simple fact you have too much work to complete they understand because they've been given the same work.

Help or hinder everyday life?
- Again, both. It helps in so many ways, on my course I've learnt about the colour theory, colour palettes, seasons, fabrics, printing, tufting.. all sorts of things. I now can go into a shop and go straight to the sale rail and think "Oh, this is a colour from their S/S or A/W collection, those colours are still in until *blah blah* I can still wear that." or "This would look great with *blah blah*" etc. But it also hinders just as any other lesson would. I know that when I studied Media at A-Level I couldn't watch a horror without thinking "This wouldn't be as scary without the background noise/music" or "He's a stunt man" etc.

HOW EASY WAS IT TO MAKE FRIENDS?
- Very. Be yourself and you'll make friends in no time! I was lucky enough to find someone online who was doing my course before freshers. We spoke a few times and we met up just before we had to go in and meet everyone on our course. We then met other people and now they're my favourite people ever! 

WHAT IS YOUR TIMETABLE LIKE?
- Everyones timetables can be different due to work and other commitments. Mine for example is pretty great, I'm in 3 times a week. A Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I love Friday lectures, we're currently creating a design for a shirt using Photoshop and Illustrator. But there are other people on my course that are in once a week because they're part-time. Everyone is different. 

WHY DIDNT YOU MOVE AWAY?
Because I simply didn't want to. I never thought I wanted to go to University in the first place, so I thought I'd try it and if I didn't like it I could quit and I wouldn't have the hassle of still having to pay accommodation fees!

WHATS THE WORST THING ABOUT BEING AT UNIVERSITY?
That you have to pay for EVERYTHING. They (tutors) don't want to help you out with anything but if they do it HAS to be their way or no way.. Unless of course you are like me and like to say no lol! Make sure you budget enough money to buy supplies.

Thats everything I can think of that I get asked a lot. If you need anymore answers just tweet me!
@rxbynpugh

You May Also Like

0 comments